1. Schools must ensure that most young people ________ the skills and knowledge once reserved
for a few.
A. acquire B. learn C. achieve D. fulfill
2. When the result of the vote was announced the Prime Minister ________ defeat.
A. acquainted B. assured C. notified D. acknowledged
3. She _______ blood when the Red Cross had a blood drive.
A. allocated B. dedicated C. donated D. extracted
4. Giving up my job to go back to full-time education was a big _______, but now I know it was the best decision I ever made.
A. project B. commitment C. competition D. ambition
5. The audience ________ cheers as the band came on stage.
A. broke down B. broke into C. broke out D. broke through
6. The bank is equipped with new alarm _____. We can say it's safe and reliable completely.
A. system B. way C. order D. setting
7. One cause of the civil war was economic and political rivalry between the _______ South and the industrial North.
A. prosperous B. cultivated C. old-fashioned D. poorly organized
8. It is firmly believed that quarrels never settles anything. It only _____ violence.
A. runs into B. lets out C. results in D. gets into
9. She broke my bicycle lamp_______; that was why Jane was to blame.
A. accidentally B. accurately C. positively D. deliberately
10. To our surprise, the painting considered ______ should have won the prize.
A. being copied B. having been copied C. to have copied D. to have been copied
11. The report urged that all the children _______ to swim.
A. are taught B. be taught C. to be taught D. being taught
12. ---I think I can’t achieve my aims.
--- In my opinion, you shouldn’t have ______ such a difficult task.
A. accomplished B. attempted C. managed D. achieved
13. Young adults ______ older ones are more likely to prefer sports and become enthusiastic sports fans.
A. other than B. more than C. less than D. rather than
14. I appreciate ________ in the contest when one competitor gets the first prize.
A. this B. that C. it D. one
15. Crayon Shinchan enjoys great _______ in China. He has many fans in Hong Kong, Taiwan and on the mainland.
A. contributions B. popularity C. achievements D. humors
16. The cost of living in Glasgow is among the lowest in Britain, ___________ the quality of life is probably one of the highest.
A. since B. when C. as D. while
17. Most of us know we should cut down on fat, but knowing such things isn’t much help when it ___________ shopping and eating.
A. comes to B. speaks of C. focuses on D. refers to
18. From a long-term point of view, it is time for us to _______ solving this problem.
A. set out B. set forward C. set about D. set back
19. A healthy life is frequently thought to be ________ with the open countryside and homegrown
A. tied B. bound C. involved D. associated
20. By law, when one makes a large purchase, he should have _______ opportunity to change his
A. accurate B. adequate C. urgent D. excessive
    下一页